Saturday 16 January 2016

Flash your stash 2016

Yesterday, I came across a forum thread on Ravelry, called Flash Your Stash 2016. I had already decided to try and decrease my yarn stash this year, but seeing other peoples' stashes gave me that little extra motivation. So, today, I took all my own yarn out, to see if my stash met my expectations, and to get a clear image of what I own.

This is almost everything, laid out on my bed. On the right are my WIPs. Apart from one, all of these are knit with yarn that has been in my stash for a while. Now for a close-up:

I'm quite relieved that I had a pretty good idea beforehand, of all the yarn I own. The only thing that surprised me was how many skeins of purple DROPS Alaska I had left from the cardigan I made with it (the second column of yarn). From left to right, there is cotton yarn destined to become a sweater for my mom, the leftover wool yarn I was talking about, some alpaca and DROPS Eskimo, in mostly whole skeins. The fourth column is all aran acrylic that has been dipped into. I started last year on my quest to make socks out of these skeins, although I may use the black one for my beekeeper's quilt.
After that, it's all leftovers or single skeins of yarn that were gifted to me. I've got no idea what to do with this, apart from knitting accessoires. The balls are still a bit too big to use for my mitered square blanket, or the wrong weight.
And lastly, my small leftovers. Also pictured is my mitered square blanket. I've used up leftovers, and I'm also using up my mom's stash on this one. Unfortunately, most of the yarn I got from her is blue, so this project is hibernating until I've created some more leftovers.

That's it! I'm very happy that this amount of yarn is quite manageable. I should be able to reduce this by half in the next year, although I'm not setting a specific goal. My fabric stash, on the other hand... Let us not speak about that one.

I'd love to hear from you about your own stash. Do you keep it small? Or are you happily drowning in yarn?

Lots of love and until next time,

Lisanne

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your yarn stash is very manageable. I'd love to get mine down to your size but I tend to obsessively hoard the small leftovers (you know, just in case). What projects do you do to use up your worsted weight leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And with enough determination, I'm sure you can do it. As for the leftovers, almost all of them are waiting to go into my mitered square blanket. I'm using 4 mm needles, so I use everything from dk to aran weight yarn. It works fine! My heavier weight leftovers won't work with this, but I do not knit with them that often. I don't have too many lighter leftovers, although I am planning to start knitting socks, but I think I'll hold two of them together and so use them up in the blanket :)
    What do you (want to) do with your leftovers?

    ReplyDelete