Sunday 13 March 2016

An adventure in crochet

Back in January, I wrote a post on my yarn stash, and how I'd like to reduce it significantly during the year. The fourth row from the right in this picture consisted of acrylic yarn, that I had no clue what to do with. The black and olive green are colours that I would wear, but the others were simply too bright for my taste. Luckily, I've found a home for those four skeins.

They are now Nesting Baskets! This was the perfect pattern for using up partial, but still quite large skeins of stash yarn. I didn't want to make accessoires, because the colours are so bright that I wouldn't wear them, and some of the yarns are quite scratchy. This was also a good opportunity to work on my crochet tension.

I started with the pink ones. The pattern calls for more height and a crocheted edge, but I like them this way. The numbers can be found here. (And here for the blue ones, here for the red ones)
The green basket is a different story. I started this one after I'd finished all the other colours, so I had already made 13 baskets. I also had quite a bit more green yarn left, and I wasn't exactly looking forward to making 10+ baskets in this yarn. It's not so nice to work with (which is fine, considering I bought 600 metres of it for €3). So, after I'd made the largest basket, I moved onto coasters.
This is the Set of Ombre Coasters, also by Marinke Slump. This gave me an opportunity to practise my double crochets. I made 8 coasters before I decided that was enough, and then I made the lid (details can be found here). I still have a bit of yarn left, but that will be used up in my leftover blanket.

I have made more things, but this is enough for today.
Until next time!

Lots of love,

Lisanne




No comments:

Post a Comment