Thursday 1 October 2015

Oops, I did it again...

Yes, I started another beekeeper's quilt (by Stephanie Dosen, Ravelry). I started my last one about two years ago, and I think I finished knitting the puffs about a year ago, but I have to admit that I still haven't tied all the puffs together properly... Another oops.
Last time around, it took me over a year to make and I used 21 skeins to make it. I used Katia Basic Merino, a DK weight yarn. The pattern calls for fingering, but I'd used this yarn before, and it's soft and affordable. It's about 50% acrylic and 50% merino wool, and I still like the yarn. I've knit two sweaters with it since, and they are holding up well.
(Yes, I tried to make artsy pictures using my phone)
I don't have too many pictures of the second project (the black puffs), because black is hard to photograph and I only have six puffs so far. The yarns I'm using are stash yarns, and they have been for about two years. If you look closely, you're hopefully able to see that four of the puffs have a little sparkle in them. That's the yarn that started it all. It's Zeeman Sparkle, a crappy acrylic yarn that I bought when I first started knitting. I thought it looked pretty cool, but when knitted up, it doesn't. The sparkle comes from a little metallic thread, and that makes it scratchy and uncomfortable to wear. I can't even begin to count all the projects I've started and frogged with this yarn. The only way it worked for me, was to hold it together with a normal yarn, and treat it as bulky. I've made two projects with it that way, but I still had about one and a half skein left in black, and one in blue.
This is what the yarn looks like. It makes for wonky stitches and uneven tension. It's not fun to knit with.
But I'd barely been knitting lately, and when I saw my hexipuff blanket again, I figured I'd give this a shot. And it worked! The wonky stitches are not too noticeable, and paired with puffs made from a normal black yarn, they look pretty good, if I say so myself. And I'm knitting frequently again. I think I started this on sunday, or maybe monday, but now it's thursday and I've already knit six puffs. On the other hand, now I stopped sewing. Downstairs, I've got a piece of fabric, ready to be made into a Morris Blazer, but that has been laying there since about friday, and I haven't touched it since. Maybe this weekend.
(more artsy pictures)
I'm not that confident in sewing, yet. I've finished almost all the projects in my Love at First Stitch book, and I've made a Hemlock Tee, but that's it so far. I'll try to write a post about these projects sometime soon. But that's all for now.

Love,

Lisanne





No comments:

Post a Comment